SECTION 1 Questions 1–14
Read the text below and answer Questions 1–8.
Revised July 2011
This applies to all persons on the school campus
In cases of emergency (e.g. fire), find the nearest teacher who will:
send a messenger at full speed to the Office OR inform the Office via phone ext. 99.
PROCEDURE FOR EVACUATION
1. Warning of an emergency evacuation will be marked by a number of short bell
rings. (In the event of a power failure, this may be a hand-held bell or siren.)
2. All class work will cease immediately.
3. Students will leave their bags, books and other possessions where they are.
4. Teachers will take the class rolls.
5. Classes will vacate the premises using the nearest staircase. If these stairs are
inaccessible, use the nearest alternative staircase. Do not use the lifts. Do not
6. Each class, under the teacher’s supervision, will move in a brisk, orderly fashion
to the paved quadrangle area adjacent to the car park.
7. All support staff will do the same.
8. The Marshalling Supervisor, Ms Randall, will be wearing a red cap and she will
be waiting there with the master timetable and staff list in her possession.
9. Students assemble in the quad with their teacher at the time of evacuation. The
teacher will do a head count and check the roll.
10. Each teacher sends a student to the Supervisor to report whether all students
have been accounted for. After checking, students will sit down (in the event of
rain or wet pavement they may remain standing).
11. The Supervisor will inform the Office when all staff and students have been
12. All students, teaching staff and support personnel remain in the evacuation area
until the All Clear signal is given.
13. The All Clear will be a long bell ring or three blasts on the siren.
14. Students will return to class in an orderly manner under teacher guidance.
15. In the event of an emergency occurring during lunch or breaks, students are to
assemble in their home-room groups in the quad and await their home-room
Questions 1 - 8
Complete the sentences below.
Choose NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS from the text for each answer.
Write your answers in boxes 1–8 on your answer sheet.
1 In an emergency, a teacher will either phone the office or ……………….. .
2 The signal for evacuation will normally be several ……………….. .
3 If possible, students should leave the building by the ……………….. .
4 They then walk quickly to the ……………….. .
5 ……………….. will join the teachers and students in the quad.
6 Each class teacher will count up his or her students and mark ……………….. .
7 After the ……………….. , everyone may return to class.
8 If there is an emergency at lunchtime, students gather in the quad in
……………….. and wait for their teacher.
1. send a messenger：答案见原文In cases of emergency (e.g. fire), find the nearest teacher who will: send a messenger at full speed to the Office OR inform the Office via phone ext. 99.一旦发生紧急情况，教师有两种做法：1. send a messenger to the Office; 2. inform the Office via phone。
2. short bell rings：答案见原文Warning of an emergency evacuation will be marked by a number of short bell rings. 疏散信号通常是short bell rings，问题中用several代替了原文中的a number of。
3. nearest staircase/stairs：答案见原文Classes will vacate the premises using the nearest staircase. students leave the building等同于原文中的Classes vacate the premises。
4. (paved) quadrangle (area)/quad：答案见原文Each class, will move in a brisk, orderly fashion to the paved quadrangle area adjacent to the car park. quickly等同于原文中的in a brisk。
5. (all) support staff/personnel：答案见原文All support staff will do the same. support staff做相同的事情，也就是join the teachers and students in the quad。
6. the (class) roll：答案见原文The teacher will do a head count and check the roll. check the roll等同于mark the roll。
7. all clear (signal) ：答案见原文The All Clear will be a long bell ring or three blasts on the siren. Students will return to class in an orderly manner under teacher guidance. 可见Students return to class是在all clear之后的事情。
8. (their) home-room groups：答案见原文In the event of an emergency occurring during lunch or breaks, students are to assemble in their home-room groups in the quad and await their home-room teacher.